For the vanilla ice cream base – Combine 1 can sweetened condensed milk and 1 cup roughly chopped, toasted pecans in large bowl. Fold in 2 cups whipped heavy cream. Pour into 9 x 5-inch loaf pan or other 2 quart container, swirl with about 1/2 cup salted caramel. Cover. Freeze 6 hours or until firm.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 cup heavy cream, warmed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 to 1 teaspoon fleur de sel, or sea salt
1 stick(1/4 pound) unsalted butter, cold, and cut in cubes
1. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Stir till sugar dissolves and then STOP stirring.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, over medium-high heat. Cook mixture till it is a medium amber color. Watch mixture carefully…it can burn if you are not careful.
3. Heat cream in microwave, till it is hot. Pour hot cream into the caramelized sugar mixture, a little at a time. Be careful, because it will bubble up, and it is very hot!
4. Stir mixture till it is smooth, and then add the vanilla extract, and the salt.
5. Cool mixture, stirring occasionally, till it is about 110 degrees F.
6. When the mixture has cooled to 110 degrees F, add the cubes of butter, a few at a time, mixing them into the caramel with an immersion blender, to create an emulsion.
7. When butter is incorporated, pour caramel into a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap, placed directly on the surface, so a skin doesn’t form on top. Chill at least 3 hours.
Ice cream recipe from Borden’s website & Caramel from Baking 911 http://baking911.com/candy/caramel/salted-caramel-filling